THE HOPE OF THE RESURRECTION
(Beausejour Church – Pastor Chris Jordan)
To listen to or download the audio MP3, click HERE.
INTRO TO TOPIC: HOW IMPORTANT IS THE RESURRECTION?
“Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.” (1 Cor. 15:12-14, NKJV).
- Easter Sunday – or resurrection day – is the most important day of the Christian year.
- There are many books written on the proofs for the resurrection that I recommend.
KEY TEXT: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” (1 Peter 1:3).
THE BIG IDEA: Because Jesus Christ rose from the dead, we can experience Him through the living hope of His resurrection today.
ENCOUNTERS WITH RESURRECTION POWER:
- Jesus loves us so much He died for us! After Jesus died on the Cross (Good Friday), three days later He raised from the dead and began appearing to His disciples.
- TO MARY AND MARY MAGDALENE – SUNDAY MORNING: JOY
“1 Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb. 2 And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat on it. 3 His countenance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow. 4 And the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men. 5 But the angel answered and said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here; for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. 7 And go quickly and tell His disciples (Mark adds “and Peter” in <st2:bcv_smarttag w:st=”on”>Mark 16:7) that He is risen from the dead, and indeed He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him. Behold, I have told you.” 8 So they went out quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to bring His disciples word. 9 And as they went to tell His disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, “Rejoice!” So they came and held Him by the feet and worshiped Him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell My brethren to go to Galilee, and there they will see Me.” (Matt. 28:1-10).
- Here the women came weeping, mourning, grieving and fearful.
- But after encountering His resurrection power, they were full of fear and great JOY!
- Right away, they went and told other people the Good News.
- The journey: Hurting, Healed, Helping Others.
- Do YOU struggle with fear, discouragement or depression? Come to Jesus for His joy!
- TO PETER AND JOHN: HOPE AND FORGIVENESS
“1 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. 2 Then she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.” 3 Peter therefore went out, and the other disciple, and were going to the tomb. 4 So they both ran together, and the other disciple outran Peter and came to the tomb first. 5 And he, stooping down and looking in, saw the linen cloths lying there; yet he did not go in. 6 Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb; and he saw the linen cloths lying there, 7 and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded together in a place by itself. 8 Then the other disciple, who came to the tomb first, went in also; and he saw and believed.” (John 20:1-8).
- Before Jesus died on the Cross, Peter had denied knowing Jesus. He wept bitterly.
- Now, there was hope with the expectation of forgiveness of sins!
- After this, Jesus appeared to Peter and restored Him three times: “Do you love me?”
- Do YOU struggle with guilt or shame over your sins and need forgiveness? Confess your sins to Jesus and be washed clean! (1 John 1:9).
- TO THE DISCIPLES – LATER SUNDAY MORNING: PEACE & POWER
“9 Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons. 10 She went and told those who had been with Him, as they mourned and wept. 11 And when they heard that He was alive and had been seen by her, they did not believe. 12 After that, He appeared in another form to two of them as they walked and went into the country. 13 And they went and told it to the rest, but they did not believe them either. 14 Later He appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen.” (Mark 16:9-14).
FROM JOHN’S ACCOUNT:
“19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. 21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” (John 20:19-21).
- The disciples were hiding because of fears and doubts.
- Jesus came and spoke PEACE to them.
- Do YOU struggle with doubts? Come to Jesus and receive His peace.
“15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature… 19 So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God. 20 And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.” (Mark 16:9-15).
- The disciples were mourning and weeping, and didn’t believe He was alive.
- It wasn’t until they saw and encountered His resurrection power that everything changed.
- They were EMPOWERED with a new boldness to share the Good News with others.
SUMMARY: After these different men and women encountered the resurrected Christ:
- They experienced joy, hope, forgiveness, peace and empowerment.
- Because Jesus died and rose again, WE can encounter His resurrection power today
- Our lives can be changed forever!
“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25-26).
- Do you believe this? Do you know Jesus in the power of His resurrection?
- Do YOU know Jesus today in the power of His resurrection?
- Too many people are stuck on Good Friday – in some churches, He’s still on the Cross!
- Jesus is alive! God wants to take our old and broken lives and make all things new!
- Are you a sinner? He died on the Cross to pay the price for your sins to be forgiven.
- Are you depressed? He wants to give you joy unspeakable and full of glory!
- Are you sick? He will heal your sicknesses and diseases!
- Come to Jesus all you weary and heavy burdened and find rest for your souls!
“3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, 8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 receiving the end of your faith–the salvation of your souls.” (1 Peter 1:3-10).
- Come to Jesus today and be saved!
HYMN: ON CHRIST THE SOLID ROCK I STAND:
My hope is built on nothing less, Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness
And I dare not trust the sweetest frame, But wholly lean on Jesus’ name
- On Christ the solid rock I stand,
- All other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand
When darkness seems to hide His face, I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale, My anchor holds within the veil