A NEW AND TRANSFORMED LIFE
(March 25, 2012 – Beausejour Church – Pastor Chris Jordan)
This past Sunday, we had a water baptismal service at our church. I was so excited to be baptizing three adults and four youth – including my 12 year old son Austin.
Click HERE to listen to the audio message, including the baptismal testimonies.
Click HERE to download a printable version of the notes.
INTRO TO TOPIC: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” (2 Cor. 5:17).
- Jesus invites us to experience a new and transformed life.
- NLT: “What this means is that those who become Christians become new persons. They are not the same anymore, for the old life is gone. A new life has begun!”
- This is what spring is all about – the winter is over, and new life springs forth.
- This is the Christian message: our hopeless, broken lives can be healed and changed!
KEY TEXT: Great Bible verse to memorize!
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:1-2).
What does it mean: “Therefore… by the mercies of God?”
- Whenever you see the word ‘therefore’ in your Bible study, ask: “What’s it there for?”
- “When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask?” (NLT).
- “In view…” = “Behold what manner of love…” (1 John 3:1). Meditate on His love!
- “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8).
- When I became a Christian, I had to heal my image of God / Father. How about you?
- Do you know and believe the amazing love the Father has for you? God loves YOU!
THE BIG IDEA:
Jesus invites us to experience a new and transformed life. Let us present our bodies as a living sacrifice, not be conformed to the world, and be transformed by the renewing of our minds.
- PRESENT YOUR BODIES AS A LIVING SACRIFICE:
- What does it mean to be a living sacrifice?
- Paul says it is your “reasonable service.” Also: “Your spiritual act of worship.”
- Worship isn’t just about the songs we sing; it is a lifestyle of worship!
- Jesus said, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.” (Mark 8:34).
- Jesus died for you – will you live for Him? Will you sacrifice your own selfish desires?
- “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20).
- The problem with living sacrifices is they want to crawl off of the altar.
- Challenge: If you have never made Jesus the Lord of your life, do so today!
- DO NOT BE CONFORMED TO THE WORLD:
- What does it mean to be conformed to the world?
- “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world.” (NLT).
- “When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure, idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21, NLT).
- God doesn’t want us to live that way any longer: He wants us to change.
- All of these things lead to pain, death and destruction in our lives, so let them go…
- BE TRANSFORMED INTO THE IMAGE OF JESUS:
- “Let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.” (NLT).
- Transformed = metamorphoo = where we get the word metamorphosis – change from inside out. This is something that the Holy Spirit does on the inside of us!
- “For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son.” (Romans 8:29).
- God’s desire is that we would be transformed into the image of Jesus!
THE TRANSFORMATION TEST: How are you doing at becoming more like Jesus?
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” (Galatians 5:22-23).
CLOSING CHALLENGE: HOW ARE WE TRANSFORMED INTO THE IMAGE OF JESUS?
- By renewing our minds by the Word.
“If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (John 8:31-32).
- We need to change our thinking –learn what the Bible says about what’s right and wrong.
- By spending time with Jesus in prayer.
“Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:4-5).
- As we spend time with Jesus, He gives us the grace and strength to live for Him.
Are you ready to experience a new and transformed life?
- Present your body, don’t conform to the world, be transformed by renewing your mind.
Beausejour Community Church Website: www.beausejourchurch.ca
Pastor Chris Jordan’s Blog: https://pastorchrisjordan.wordpress.com/