FRESH FIRE FROM HEAVEN!
(Beausejour Church– Pastor Chris Jordan)
You can download or listen to the MP3 of the service HERE.
OPENING: DO YOU NEED FRESH FIRE FROM HEAVEN?
“And the fire on the altar shall be kept burning on it; it shall not be put out.” (Lev. 6:12).
INTRO TO TOPIC:
The Bible tells us “how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.” (Acts 10:38).
- Jesus said, “It is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper (the Holy Spirit) will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.” (John 16:7).
- John the Baptist said: “Jesus will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” (Luke 3:16).
THE BIG IDEA: In the same way that Jesus was anointed with the Holy Spirit, He wants to fill us with the Spirit so we can transform people’s lives today.
- JESUS HAS COMMISSIONED US TO GO AND DO THE STUFF:
- First the Twelve: “Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” (Luke 9:1-2).
“And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matthew 10:7-8).
- Next, Jesus sent out the Seventy (see Luke 10:1-2,9).
- Now, Jesus sends out all of His disciples: “And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues… they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” (Mark 16:15-18).
- If you are a disciple of Jesus, then Jesus wants YOU to go into the world with His power!
- JESUS WANTS TO FILL US WITH HIS POWER:
“And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, which, He said, you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” (Acts 1:4-5).
- That Greek word baptismo means to be immersed in the Holy Spirit.
- It’s like the process a cucumber goes through to become a pickle.
- It’s so important for us to soak in His presence for extended periods of time!
- To be anointed = to have the oil of the Holy Spirit smeared all over us!
KEY TEXT: “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” (Acts 1:8).
WHAT HAPPENED ON THE DAY OF PENTECOST:
“And when the day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” (Acts 2:1-4).
- We need a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit’s wind and fire today!
- A LOOK AT THE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT:
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: (1 Cor. 12:7-10).
- Prophecy – a divine utterance of the Holy Spirit to encourage, edify or comfort people.
- Tongues – the gift of speaking supernaturally in a language not known to the individual.
- Interpretation of tongues – an interpretation of a message that is given in tongues.
- Word of wisdom – wisdom to know what to do or how to do it, either for your life or someone else’s.
- Word of knowledge – knowledge of an event or other information in someone’s life (past or present) that you were not aware of in the natural.
- Discerning of spirits – to discern the spirit world, to tell whether something is divine (God or angels), human (natural origin) or demonic (Satan or demons).
- Faith – a unique form of faith (not the faith that saves you) that supernaturally trusts and does not doubt concerning specific matters – to believe God for the impossible.
- Gifts of healings – the healings God performs supernaturally. i.e. a broken arm.
- The working of miracles – the manifestation of power beyond the ordinary course of natural law. This is where something that could never have been done naturally occurs.
- UNDERSTANDING SPEAKING IN TONGUES:
To correctly understand the gift of speaking in tongues, we must realize there are two different kinds of speaking in tongues mentioned in the Bible.
- TONGUES AS A GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT:
“to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.” (1 Cor. 12:10b).
“I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.” (1 Cor. 14:5).
- The spiritual gift of tongues is God speaking to the church.
- This is initiated by the Holy Spirit, as He wills it.
- Not all believers will operate in this spiritual gift.
“Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel. Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.” (1 Cor. 14:12-13).
- When you are exercising the spiritual gift of tongues in a public setting, pray for the interpretation so the church can be encouraged.
- TONGUES AS A PERSONAL PRAYER LANGUAGE:
“For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries… He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.” (1 Cor. 14:2,4).
- Tongues as a personal prayer language is the believer speaking to God.
- This gift of tongues speaks mysteries, and edifies your spirit.
- All believers can exercise this gift of the Holy Spirit (see Mark 16:17).
“If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.” (1 Cor. 14:27-28).
- If you don’t have the gift of tongues & interpretation, it is still okay to speak to yourself and God (tongues as a personal prayer language).
- WHY SPEAK IN TONGUES? (Personal Prayer Language)
Paul said, “I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all.” (1 Cor. 14:18).
- To EDIFY yourself – building up your spirit. (1 Cor. 14:4)
- To BUILD UP your faith. (Jude 20)
- To PRAY the perfect will of God. (Romans 8:26)
- To PRAISE and magnify God. (Acts 2:11; 10:46)
PERSONAL TESTIMONY: The difference the Holy Spirit Baptism made in my life.
BIBLE STORY: Before Peter was filled with the Spirit, he denied Jesus three times – in front of a little servant girl! After the Holy Spirit came upon Him, He had new boldness and power!
CLOSING: How do we receive?
“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” (Luke 11:13). We ASK!
- FOR HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM
- FOR FRESH FIRE – ANOINTED WITH FRESH OIL!
- FOR A RELEASE OF THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT
Pastor Chris Jordan’s Blog: https://pastorchrisjordan.wordpress.com/