Today is my day off, and my wife Liza and I went for a walk around our small town. During our walk, we decided to check out the grand opening of our new “Dollar Tree” store in town. I found two little goodies there – two $1.25 books: One was “Always Looking Up” – the autobiography of Michael J. Fox (which I’ve wanted to get for a while now), and the other was “Fun Facts” by David Letterman. Here are some random quotes from the latter book:
FBMI Disclaimer: “The Federal Bureau of Miscellaneous Information makes no warranty, either express or implied, as to the entertainment value or veractity of the “Fun Facts” presented herein.”
- One in every three Americans loses an eye in an umbrella accident.
- It takes 15 chickens to make six McDonalds Chicken McNuggets.
- One in every 2,000 babies is born fully clothed.
- The average time on the eastern seaboard is 4:30 pm.
- If you see the glass as half full, you’re an optimist. If you see it through lenses you prescribed for yourself, you’re an optometrist.
- The biggest American fear is public speaking. The second is accidentally ingesting raw lamb.
- The equator is so long it could circle the Earth once.
- In the late 1920’s, the Periodic Table of elements briefly included paprika.
- A Freedom of Information Act request was recently filed for the government to reveal the location of the Hidden Valley Ranch.
- For one week in 1920, the United States Postal Service accepted bacon and other smoked meats taped to the corner of an envelope as postage.
- Before the advent of dental records, corpses were identified by jazz records.
- In Alaska, the dessert known as “baked Alaska” is called “baked here.”
- Prior to 1936, elevators only went up, not down.
- When held by a person who is more than seven feet tall, a ladle is just called a ‘spoon.’
- After centuries of weak sales, bumper stickers skyrocketed in popularity with the invention of the automobile.
- Instead of turning into a superhero, most people bitten by a radioactive spider just develop a minor rash.
- Conspiracy theorists believe that I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter is indeed butter.
- By a 20-to-1 margin, maple syrup outsells oak syrup.
- By law, a doctor may not use a tongue depressor to depress other parts of your body.
- Major League Baseball rules dictate that each season the Minnesota Twins’ roster include one set of twins.
- Contrary to the popular slogan, 68 percent of what happens in Vegas leads to divorce and/or bankruptcy.
- Thirty-seven of the 42 men elected to serve as president of the United States at one time worked as mall Santas.
- Thanks to a sophisticated robot developed by Japanese inventors, it now only takes one to tango.
- The original recipe for Animal Crackers called for each cracker to be made from the meat of the corresponding animal.
- The first sandwich consisted of a slice of bread with a slice on the bottom and a third on top. (pg. 12-72).
Would you like to read more Fun Facts? Let me know!