Welcome to the first installment of my new weekly post – the Monday Musings. Every week I will take the time to share personal, sometimes random, maybe quirky, occasionally deep and philosophical thoughts about life, the universe and everything.
Today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada. On Thursday, January 31, 1957, the Parliament of Canada proclaimed: A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October. We celebrated with 22 people in our home yesterday with a fabulous turkey dinner. And so, in honour of this day, allow me to share with you 13 things I’m thankful for.
- My personal relationship with Jesus. So thankful to have an amazingly gracious and good God in Heaven who loves me totally, completely and unconditionally.
- My beautiful wife Liza. In March we celebrated 18 great years together. We’ve been through a lot of good times and bad times, but through it all, our love for each other grows stronger.
- My four amazing children Caleb, Tori, Austin and Hannah. They have great friends, love life, laugh lots, and have many different activities that they enjoy being involved in from football and other sports, to music, dance and drama. I love them very much!
- God’s hand of protection upon my son Caleb and his friends Phil, Martin and Logan when they were in a car accident a couple of weeks ago (You can read that story HERE).
- Many awesome friends and family in my life. (My mom, my sisters and their families, my extended family and our church family and more).
- My role as a pastor. More than a job, it is one of my passions.
- Writing – books, stories and blogs. Two published books, over 20 mini-books, and a youth fantasy novel in the works. I like to write!
- Reading – the Bible, fiction, non-fiction, comic books, blogs and more.
- Listening to music – Kim Walker, Chris Tomlin, Toby Mac, Steven Curtis Chapman, Adele, Holly Cole and more.
- Living in the great free, blessed and prosperous nation of Canada.
- Good food. Like Liza’s sumptuous turkey dinner yesterday with mashed potatoes and gravy and all the fixin’s.
- A good coffee made with fresh ground StarbucksTM beans with some International Delight French Vanilla cream (or a good double double from Tim Horton’s!).
- Thirteen other favourite random things I’m thankful for: Mission Trips to Costa Rica, books by Charles Spurgeon the Prince of Preachers, Cherry Coke (too bad you can only get it in the US!), Superman (comic books, movies, TV shows and more!), playing the drums, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, The Big Bang Theory (the TV show, not the actual theory!), camping with my family, working with our church youth group, our King Charles Cavalier Spaniel dog Cooper, The Walking Dead (one of my guilty pleasures), swimming, and finally social networking sites like Facebook and Instagram that allow me to stay in touch with family and friends all across the world!
What are YOU thankful for today??