BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT
(Beausejour Church – Pastor Chris Jordan)
- To download a printable version of these notes, click HERE.
- To listen to or download the audio MP3, click HERE.
INTRO TO TOPIC:
The Bible tells us “how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.” (Acts 10:38).
- Jesus said, “It is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper (the Holy Spirit) will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.” (John 16:7).
- John the Baptist said: “Jesus will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” (Luke 3:16).
- “And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit.” (Eph. 5:18).
GOD’S PROMISE: “For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, And floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring.” (Isaiah 44:3).
THE BIG IDEA: In the same way that Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit, He wants to fill us with the Spirit so we can transform people’s lives today.
- JESUS HAS COMMISSIONED US TO GO AND DO THE STUFF:
- First the Twelve: “Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” (Luke 9:1-2).
- “And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matthew 10:7-8).
- Next, Jesus sent out the Seventy (see Luke 10:1-2,9).
- Now, Jesus sends out all of His disciples: “And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues… they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” (Mark 16:15-18).
- If you are a disciple of Jesus, then Jesus wants YOU to go into the world with His power!
- JESUS WANTS TO FILL US WITH HIS POWER:
“And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, which, He said, you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” (Acts 1:4-5).
- That Greek word baptismo means to be immersed in the Holy Spirit.
- It’s so important for us to soak in His presence for extended periods of time.
KEY TEXT: (Acts 1:8).
“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
- WHAT HAPPENED ON THE DAY OF PENTECOST:
“And when the day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” (Acts 2:1-4).
- We need a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit’s wind and fire today!
- THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT:
“Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant.” (1 Cor. 12:1).
“7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
- 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit,
- to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,
- 9 to another faith by the same Spirit,
- to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,
- 10 to another the working of miracles,
- to another prophecy,
- to another discerning of spirits,
- to another different kinds of tongues,
- to another the interpretation of tongues.” (1 Cor. 12:7-10).
One of the reasons to be filled with the Spirit is so we can flow in the gifts.
BIBLE STORY: Peter – Before and After (Matt. 26:69-75; Acts 2:14-41).
Before Peter was filled with the Spirit, he denied Jesus three times – in front of a little servant girl! After the Holy Spirit came upon Him, he had new boldness and power!
PERSONAL TESTIMONY: The difference the Holy Spirit Baptism made in my life.
CLOSING: How do we receive?
“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” (Luke 11:13). We ASK!
- FOR HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM
- FOR FRESH FIRE – TO BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT TODAY!
- FOR A RELEASE OF THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT
Beausejour Community Church Website: www.beausejourchurch.ca
Pastor Chris Jordan’s Blog: https://pastorchrisjordan.wordpress.com/