This coming Sunday morning, we are kicking off a new series at Beausejour Community Church called Transformation, based on one of the greatest messages ever preached: The Sermon on the Mount, delivered by Jesus Himself some almost 2,000 years ago! I encourage you to take the time to read through this Scripture – in both the New King James Version and New Living Translation. Meditate on it, and allow the wisdom from God’s Word to begin to transform YOU!
NEW KING JAMES VERSION:
“1 And seeing the multitudes, Jesus went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. 2 Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:
- 3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- 4 Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted.
- 5 Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth.
- 6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
- 7 Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy.
- 8 Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God.
- 9 Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.
- 10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- 11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
14 You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”
NEW LIVING TRANSLATION:
“1 One day as the crowds were gathering, Jesus went up the mountainside with his disciples and sat down to teach them. 2 This is what he taught them:
- 3 “God blesses those who realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is given to them.
- 4 God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- 5 God blesses those who are gentle and lowly, for the whole earth will belong to them.
- 6 God blesses those who are hungry and thirsty for justice, for they will receive it in full.
- 7 God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
- 8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God.
- 9 God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God.
- 10 God blesses those who are persecuted because they live for God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. ”
- 11 “God blesses you when you are mocked and persecuted and lied about because you are my followers. 12 Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted, too.”
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it useful again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
14 You are the light of the world — like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see. 15 Don’t hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.”
Get Ready to Be Changed!