It’s hard to believe that slavery still exists in our world today, but it does.
Today, February 27th, is “Shine a Light on Slavery” day. As a part of the end it movement, my daughter Hannah and I have drawn a red X on our hands to join thousands of others using social media to help raise awareness of the fact that slavery still exists, and that we need to raise our voices and do something to stop it!
“Slavery has many forms and names, but it’s still slavery. And it’s still wrong. Can you imagine being forced to work without pay, trapped, unable to walk away, subject to violence or the threat of violence, by another person as they control you? Own you? Isolated, yet hidden in plain sight. This is reality for those trapped in slavery today. In the year 2015. Slavery is illegal in every single country in the world. Yet it still exists.” (www.enditmovement.com).
Three different kinds of slavery: Bonded labor, forced labor, and human trafficking:
- Bonded labor is one of the most common forms of slavery in the world today. Bonded labor victims are often born into slavery, forced to repay a loan, sometimes from generations before. Indebted, often through deception and a system stacked against them.
- Forced labor is any work or service someone is forced to do, against their will, under the threat of punishment, with little to no pay. This is most frequently found in labor-intensive, under-regulated industries, such as agriculture, fishing, domestic work, construction, mining, quarrying and manufacturing.
- Human trafficking is when someone is taken away from their home, family, or community and transported to another city or country, many times under a false promise of employment or a better life. Victims are stripped of their identity, then forced to work against their will, with no hope or way to return home. (www.enditmovement.com).
Here are just a few different organizations that are making a difference fighting slavery in the world today. Check them out, and find out how you can help!
- World Vision Canada
- No Child for Sale (A World Vision Canada Campaign)
- International Justice Mission Canada
- End It Movement
“He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do JUSTICE, To love MERCY, And to walk HUMBLY with your God?” (Micah 6:8). This is what we are all called to do. Refuse to do nothing!