A HEART TO PRAY, EYES TO SEE AND HANDS TO HEAL
(Pastor Chris Jordan – Beausejour Church)
To listen to or download the audio MP3 or a printable version of this outline, click HERE.
THE BIG IDEA: If we want to make a difference in people’s lives, we need to have a heart that prays, eyes that see, and hands that heal.
KEY TEXT: Acts 3:1-10
- A PEOPLE WITH A HEART TO PRAY:
“Now Peter and John went up together to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour.” (Acts 3:1, NKJV).
- Why did the NT church see many signs and wonders? They PRAYED!
- We need to be a people of prayer:
- “And He went up on the mountain and called to Him those He Himself wanted. And they came to Him. Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach, and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons.” (Mark 3:13-15).
- “but we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” (Acts 6:4).
- The secret place is the place of POWER – we need to get the power, to give the power.
- DISCUSS BENEDICTION: “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all” (2 Cor. 13:14).
- A PEOPLE WITH EYES TO SEE:
“And a certain man lame from his mother’s womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms from those who entered the temple; “who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms. And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, “Look at us.” (Acts 3:2-4).
- We know from Acts 4:22 that this man had been sick for 40 years.
- It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been sick – God’s got a miracle for you TODAY!
- If we’re going to be the glorious, powerful church Jesus has called us to be – we need to have eyes to see the hurting and broken around us!
- Some people just want the power to have ‘Holy Ghost parties’ – that’s not the point!
“Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.” (Matt. 9:35-38).
- The world is full of broken, hurting people, we need to SEE them, and DO something!
- A PEOPLE WITH HANDS TO HEAL:
“So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them.” (Acts 3:5).
- Why did this man receive a miracle from the Lord? He had FAITH and expectancy!
“Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” (Acts 3:6).
- How was Peter able to minister to this man? He knew he had something: Hands to heal.
“And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matt. 10:7-8).
- What does it mean that you have ‘Christ in you, the hope of glory.’
- God has blessed us to be a blessing! How do we get power and boldness?
“Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.” (Acts 4:13).
- We need to spend time with Jesus, and go to the world!
“7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8 So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them– walking, leaping, and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God. 10 Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.” (Acts 3:7-10).
- What was the result of this man being healed? He gave GLORY to God!
- God is glorified through signs and wonders – signs point to Jesus!
“how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.” (Acts 10:38).
- Jesus went into the world doing good and healing the sick!
- Jesus has called us as His disciples to go into the world to heal the sick!
Pastor’s Blog: https://pastorchrisjordan.wordpress.com/