SUPER: NATURALLY! #4: EXPERIENCING THE HOLY SPIRIT
(Pastor Chris Jordan – Beausejour Church)
- To listen to or download the audio MP3 or sermon outline, click HERE.
OPENING TEXT: ARE YOU THIRSTY?
“On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing a in Him would receive.” (John 7:37-39a).
“For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, And floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring.” (Isaiah 44:3).
- Are you hungry and thirsty for more of God in your life? We need the Holy Spirit!
INTRO TO TOPIC: Review Acts 1-3 and the story of Peter and John healing the crippled man.
KEY TEXT: Acts 4:1-14
“Now as they spoke to the people, the priests, the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees came upon them, being greatly disturbed that they taught the people and preached in Jesus the resurrection from the dead. And they laid hands on them, and put them in custody until the next day, for it was already evening.” (Acts 4:1-3).
- Notice after this great miracle, that the disciples were persecuted & thrown in jail
- Just because we live for Jesus doesn’t mean bad things aren’t going to happen to us!
“However, many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand.” (Acts 4:4).
- What was the result of the miracle? Many people got saved!
“5 And it came to pass, on the next day, that their rulers, elders, and scribes, 6 as well as Annas the high priest, Caiaphas, John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the family of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem. 7 And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, “By what power or by what name have you done this?” 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers of the people and elders of Israel: 9 If we this day are judged for a good deed done to a helpless man, by what means he has been made well, 10 let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. 11 This is the ‘stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.’ 12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:5-12).
- Notice the message Peter preached boldly: Jesus is the ONLY way to Heaven!
“Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus. And seeing the man who had been healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.” (Acts 4:13-14).
THE BIG IDEA: If we want more boldness in our lives, we need to spend time with Jesus, pray for boldness, and be filled with the Spirit.
“23 And being let go, they went to their own companions and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said to them. 24 So when they heard that, they raised their voice to God with one accord and said: “Lord, You are God, who made heaven and earth and the sea, and all that is in them… 29 Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, 30 by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.” 31 And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.” (Acts 4:23-24,29-31).
THREE KEYS TO RECEIVING MORE BOLDNESS IN OUR LIVES:
- SPEND TIME WITH JESUS. (v.13)
“When they saw the boldness of Peter and John… they realized that they had been with Jesus.”
- “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:4-5).
- Where does our strength and boldness come from? Spending time with Him in prayer.
- PRAY FOR BOLDNESS. (v. 29-30)
“Now, Lord… grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.”
- “You do not have because you do not ask.” (James 4:2). We need to ask for boldness.
- BE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT. (v.31)
“And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.”
- “Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” (2 Tim. 1:6-7).
- But when we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we become as bold as a lion!
“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” (Acts 1:8).
- God wants His SUPER to come upon our NATURAL so we can change people’s lives!
PERSONAL TESTIMONY: The difference the Holy Spirit Baptism made in my life.
BIBLE STORY: Before Peter was filled with the Spirit, he denied Jesus three times – in front of a little servant girl! After the Holy Spirit came upon Him, He had new boldness and power!
CLOSING: HOW DO WE RECEIVE?
“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” (Luke 11:13). We ASK!
- – FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM AND A FRESH INFILLING
- – FOR A RELEASE OF THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT
Pastor’s Blog: https://pastorchrisjordan.wordpress.com/