HOW TO ADD GOD’S SUPER TO YOUR NATURAL
(Foursquare Pastor’s Convention Workshop)
“Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem h until you are endued with power from on high.” (Luke 24:49).
- When Jesus started the church, He told them that He wanted them to have power.
- However, so many churches today have neglected the power of God!
- Revival preacher Leonard Ravenhill said, “There was a time when people came to church to meet with God. Now they come to sing songs and hear stories about Him.”
- Even many so-called Foursquare churches have become Two-square churches:
- We believe Jesus is the Saviour, and that He’s our Coming King, but we have neglected Him as the Healer and Baptiser in the Holy Spirit!
- Some have bought into the lie that the days of miracles are past. Where does it teach that in the Bible? Chapter and verse please!
- Prophetic Word: “The glory of this latter temple shall be greater than the former,’ says the Lord of hosts.” (Haggai 2:9). Translation: We haven’t seen anything yet!
- People are still hurting and broken today and need Jesus’ healing touch!
“And through the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were done among the people. And they were all with one accord in Solomon’s Porch. Yet none of the rest dared join them, but the people esteemed them highly. And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women, so that they brought the sick out into the streets and laid them on beds and couches, that at least the shadow of Peter passing by might fall on some of them. Also a multitude gathered from the surrounding cities to Jerusalem, bringing sick people and those who were tormented by unclean spirits, and they were all healed.” (Acts 5:12-16).
- If that’s what the church was like back then and there, that tells me we haven’t seen anything yet! Let’s contend for signs and wonders today!
- We are Foursquare pastors: Do we believe that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever? (Hebrews 13:8).
- The Example of Jesus: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed.” (Luke 4:18). * see also John 16:7, Acts 10:38 & John 14:12
INTRO: From the Welcome to the Foursquare Convention Book:
“Sister Aimee warned of the dangers of uncontrolled manifestations but in our desire to avoid fanaticism we can also let the gifts of the Holy Spirit lie unused. Our hope is that during this convention Jesus will help us to find the best of both worlds through a vision for ministry that is ‘naturally supernatural’.” – That’s my heart in sharing in this workshop!
- Are you tired of church as usual? I got there after about 10 years of being a youth pastor and got hungry and thirsty of more of God in my life, and I found Him! (Jer. 29:13).
- Testimonies: Of revival among the youth at BF – outreach into malls, etc.
THE BIG IDEA: God wants all of His children to learn how to be empowered by the Holy Spirit so that we can bring about transformation in the lives of everyone we meet.
HOW TO ADD GOD’S SUPER TO YOUR NATURAL:
1. SPEND MUCH TIME WITH JESUS IN THE SECRET PLACE:
“But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.” (Matt. 6:6).
- When did the Holy Spirit fall on the day of Pentecost? After days of seeking prayer!
- There’s a magnet on the inside of us longing to connect with our Creator!
“Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.” (Acts 4:13).
- We need to get alone in the secret place until we’re not alone anymore.
- We need to be filled with the Holy Spirit every day (Eph. 5:16).
- Testimonies of season in the secret place – that’s when we saw miracles!
- All fruitfulness in ministry flows out of intimacy with the Lord.
- “Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.” (John 5:19).
“A fire shall always be burning on the altar; it shall never go out.” (Leviticus 6:13).
“Where there is no fuel, the fire goes out.” (Proverbs 26:20).
- What is the fuel? Prayer, worship, the Word, church.
- Are you dry, hungry and thirsty for more of God?
- Return to your first love! First things first. Sitting at the feet of Jesus.
2. EARNESTLY SEEK THE LORD AND PRAY BIG PRAYERS:
“And the Lord, whom you seek, Will suddenly come to His temple.” (Malachi 3:1).
- Isn’t this what happened on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1-4)?
God’s Promise: “Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.” (Jeremiah 33:3).
“Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.” (Acts 4:29-30).
- Sometimes we do not see the supernatural and miracles because we do not ask!
- We need to learn how to pray. Not just ‘say our prayers’.
- See also John 15:5 and Phil. 4:13 – we can do all things through Christ.
3. TRAIN YOUR PEOPLE TO WALK IN THE SUPERNATURAL:
“So then, faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” (Romans 10:17).
- People will believe God for what they hear about in the Bible.
- When I have taught people on hearing God’s voice, they started hearing God’s voice!
- Steve Falkiner talked about that last night: When Peter was preaching at Cornelius’ house in Acts 10, the Holy Spirit fell.
- Preach Jesus the Saviour, people will get saved. Preach Jesus the healer, etc…
- Testimony: In our church, we preach on miracles, some people get healed. In Costa Rica, we did a mission trip a few years ago and held miracle crusades and saw lots of miracles. What was the difference? Different mindset / worldview. Steve talked about that last night too. They believe in the supernatural there. We must change our Canadian culture!
- One of the reasons I wrote my book Supernatural was not just to provide people with another theology of the Holy Spirit, but rather to provide a Biblically based manual for experiencing the Holy Spirit today.
“And it shall come to pass in the last days that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions.” (Joel 2:28).
- I’m teaching through Acts for the second time – we did it six years ago.
- Read through Acts and the Gospels and stir up your faith for the supernatural!
- “My sheep hear my voice, I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27).
“1 Now Peter and John went up together to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour. 2 And a certain man lame from his mother’s womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms from those who entered the temple; 3 who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms. 4 And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, “Look at us.” 5 So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. 6 Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” 7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8 So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them–walking, leaping, and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God. 10 Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.” (Acts 3:1-10).
- Notice Peter said, “What I do have I give you…”
- “And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease… And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, ccast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matt. 10:1,7-8).
- Before we can give the power of God, we have to get the power of God!
- Spend much time with Jesus in the secret place.
- Earnestly seek the Lord and pray big prayers.
- Train your people to walk in the supernatural.
To request a free copy of the e-book “Supernatural: Contending for Signs and Wonders Today” send me your e-mail address.
Pastor Chris Jordan