GOD ENCOUNTERS: THE FOURSQUARE GOSPEL #4:
JESUS THE SOON COMING KING:
(Pastor Chris Jordan – Beausejour Church)
- Click HERE to read this important post about the Four Blood Moons Prophecy!
- Click HERE to listen to or download the audio MP3 or printable notes of this message.
INTRO TO TOPIC: In this series we are looking at the Foursquare Gospel of Jesus:
- Jesus the Saviour, Healer, Baptiser in the Holy Spirit, Soon Coming King.
- Discuss increasing interest everywhere with people wanting to learn about the end times. “88 Reasons Jesus Will Return in 1988”, 2012 End of the World; 2015 Four Blood Moons False Prophecy.
THE BIG IDEA: We believe that the second coming of Christ is personal and imminent and the certainty of His coming should motivate us to watch and be ready.
1. THE KINGDOM OF GOD IN ACTS:
“In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.” (Acts 1:1-3, NKJV).
- The Kingdom of God is now – Jesus is the King, but He’s coming back – soon!
2. JESUS DESCRIBES THE END TIMES: (Matthew 24:3-14).
- SPIRITUAL DECEPTION: many false religions and teachings: Four Blood Moons etc!
“Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?” And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.” (v.3-5).
- POLITICAL UNREST: nations are races/people groups and kingdoms are countries.
“And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.” (v.6-7).
- NATURAL DISASTERS: famines, earthquakes, tsunamis – happening every day.
“And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.” (v.7b-8).
- RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION: millions of Christians = persecuted in the world today.
“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake.” (v.9).
- RELATIONSHIP BREAKDOWNS: this is definitely increasing today!
“And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.” (v.10-13).
- Note: all of these things: spiritual deception, political unrest, natural disasters, religious persecution and relationships breakdowns have been happening all throughout history.
- THE KINGDOM PREACHED INTO THE WORLD = the final sign
- “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14).
3. THE TIMING OF THE SECOND COMING:
“Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.” (Matthew 24:30-31).
- There is much debate about the timing of the second coming and the rapture, and especially two topics called the ‘seven year tribulation’ and the ‘millennium’.
- In this passage, we see the second coming of Jesus connected to the rapture.
“36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. 37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 38 For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. 42 Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” (Matthew 24:36-44).
- No one knows when Jesus will return, so beware of anyone who sets dates!
- The important thing is: Jesus is coming soon, and we need to WATCH & BE READY!
4. THE RAPTURE: CAUGHT UP IN THE CLOUDS:
- “13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.” (1 Thess. 4:13-18).
- God wants us to comfort each other with these words, especially in troubled times!
- Teaching about the end times shouldn’t bring fear or worry, but hope and encouragement
- This is an event many people call the rapture, when Jesus takes us home to Heaven.
- Although the word ‘rapture’ is not in the Bible, the concept is.
- Jesus is coming back soon, and our job is to be strong and steady – to BE READY!
- When Jesus returns, will you be left behind? That’s up to YOU!
5. WHAT WILL THE LAST DAY LOOK LIKE?
“Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me, “Write, for these words are true and faithful.” (Revelation 21:1-5).
“The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.” (Revelation 20:10-15).
“Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” (Matthew 24:42-44).
“So when they met together, they asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:6-8).
ACTION STEPS: Because Jesus is coming soon:
- We need to watch, be ready, and tell others about Jesus!
- We need to walk in grace, love and acceptance.
- We need to walk in forgiveness and let go of offenses.
- We need to begin living in the light of eternity!
Pastor’s Blog: https://pastorchrisjordan.wordpress.com/