MY STORY AND MY PASSIONS #1: FAITH
(Pastor Chris Jordan – Beausejour Church)
To listen to or download the audio MP3, click HERE.
When I went to share this message, I had only three Scriptures before I started preaching: Hebrews 11:1,6,8. From there, I endeavoured to walk by faith and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit as I shared this message on faith…
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Heb. 11:1).
- One of the most important aspects of the Christian life is FAITH:
FAITH THAT GOD IS GOOD:
“But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.” (Heb. 11:6).
- Do you want to please God? Then you need to learn to walk by faith.
- What is faith? Not only believing that God EXISTS: James 2:19 says, “You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe–and tremble!”
- TRUE faith believes that God is GOOD – that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
- How do we get more faith? By reading and meditating on the Scriptures:
- “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” Romans 10:17).
- The more you know about God and His nature, the more you will trust Him.
ONE OF MY FAVOURITE SCRIPTURES: THE GOODNESS OF GOD:
“1 A Psalm of David. Bless the Lord, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! 2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: 3 Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, 4 Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, 5 Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. 6 The Lord executes righteousness And justice for all who are oppressed. 7 He made known His ways to Moses, His acts to the children of Israel. 8 The Lord is merciful and gracious, Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy. 9 He will not always strive with us, Nor will He keep His anger forever. 10 He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor punished us according to our iniquities. 11 For as the heavens are high above the earth, So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; 12 As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. 13 As a father has compassion for his children, So the Lord has compassion for those who fear Him.” (Psalm 103:1-13).
- Sometimes we need to speak to ourselves and tell ourselves to praise the Lord.
- God tells us to not forget – to call to remembrance – all of His benefits:
- He forgives our sins, heals our diseases, renews our youth, He is merciful and gracious, slow to get angry, forgives our sins, has compassion on us like a Father on His children.
“By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.” (Heb. 11:8).
- God had a plan and purpose for Abraham’s life, and he stepped out in faith to obey God.
- God has a plan and a purpose for all of our lives as well.
- 95% of God’s will for everyone is in the Bible: Be kind, loving, forgiving, etc.
- 5% of God’s will is specific and unique for everyone – who you will be, what you will do, who you will marry, etc. Start out by doing what you know to do of the general will of God (obey the Bible), and the rest will fall into place.
- Pray and seek God’s wisdom and direction for your life! (James 1:5).
THE CALL OF ABRAHAM – WALKING BY FAITH:
“The LORD had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s house-hold to the land I will show you. “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” (Genesis 12:1-3).
- When God called Abraham to go, he didn’t know where he was going, but he obeyed.
- What do we learn about God’s plan and purpose for US from Abraham’s story?
- God calls people who aren’t perfect (Abraham struggled with lying).
- Just because God calls you doesn’t mean you won’t have troubles (Abraham did).
- God calls us to bless us so that we can be a blessing to others.
MY PERSONAL STORY:
- After my salvation, I sensed God was calling me into pastoral ministry.
- In obedience, I stepped out in faith and moved to BC to go to Bible College.
- One of the things I sought God for in my life was direction concerning who to marry.
God is a good, good Father and He has good plans and purposes for your lives!
Pastor’s Blog: https://pastorchrisjordan.wordpress.com/