MY STORY AND MY PASSIONS #4: DREAMS
(Pastor Chris Jordan – Beausejour Church)
To listen to or download the audio MP3 or a printable version of these notes, click HERE.
INTRO TO TOPIC: I’ve been dreaming a lot lately.
- Not dreams from the Lord, or about the future, just literal dreams. God spoke through these…
- When I was a kid I had a dream of being a superhero – who didn’t?
- From grade 8-12, I had a dream of becoming a Marine Biologist. I would watch documentaries about sea life, including the old Jacques Cousteau ones. Sharks, manatees, coral reefs. Still dream of diving off the Great Barrier Reef in Australia one day.
- Later in high school, I had a dream of moving to Hollywood and becoming an actor.
- Name change to River, long hair, etc. school plays, Regina Summer Stage, etc.
- But then 27 years ago, Aug. 14, 1989, I met Jesus Christ and everything changed.
- I had a dream to tell other people about Jesus. I went to Bible College in 1992.
- Jesus had made a difference in my life, and I wanted to help broken and hurting people.
- I had a dream to become a youth pastor. VCC for four years. Then I learned more about God’s amazing grace and wanted to share that with others. Moved on to BF for 10 years.
- For the past almost ten years, I have been the pastor of BCC.
- One of my dreams is to write books. I have written two books, Supernatural and The Beausejour Pulpit. I am working on a Christian fiction book, The Voyagers.
- Now I’m looking forward to working with young people as a guidance counsellor and teacher in a Christian high school.
- Sometimes people have one dream and passion they live their whole life: Billy Graham.
- Other times people’s dreams and passions change. What’s your dream? Has it been a while since you last dreamed with God? I want to talk to you about dreams today.
KEY TEXT: “God is able to do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams].” (Eph. 3:20, Amplified).
- God has placed within our heart hopes and dreams that He wants to fulfill for us!
- What are your hopes and dreams for your life? For your relationships? For your family?
THE BIG IDEA: The life of Joseph is an example for us to look at, to help us to realize how we can see all of our extraordinary dreams, hopes and desires become a reality.
THE STORY OF JOSEPH THE DREAMER:
“1 So Jacob settled again in the land of Canaan, where his father had lived. 2 This is the history of Jacob’s family. When Joseph was seventeen years old, he often tended his father’s flocks with his half brothers, the sons of his father’s wives Bilhah and Zilpah. But Joseph reported to his father some of the bad things his brothers were doing. 3 Now Jacob loved Joseph more than any of his other children because Joseph had been born to him in his old age. So one day he gave Joseph a special gift – a beautiful robe (or coat of many colors). 4 But his brothers hated Joseph because of their father’s partiality. They couldn’t say a kind word to him. 5 One night Joseph had a dream and promptly reported the details to his brothers, causing them to hate him even more.” (Genesis 37:1-5).
1. GOD WANTS US TO DREAM BIG DREAMS!
- Joseph was a dreamer (v.5).
- “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11).
- If you’ve given up on dreams, it’s time to dream again.
- “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but where dreams come true, there is life and joy.” (Proverbs 13:12).
- What dreams, hopes and desires do you have in your heart? (WRITE THEM DOWN!)
- There are many different kinds of hopes, dreams and desires:
- To dream to do great things in the Kingdom of God
- To dream for things for yourself – a business, a husband or wife, children
- To desire or hope for good things – for your relationships, your family
2. TO DREAM BIG DREAMS, WE MUST KNOW THE EXTRAORDINARY LOVE OF GOD.
- Joseph knew he was loved by his father. “Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!” (1 John 3:1).
- If we don’t believe God has our best interests at heart, we won’t dream big dreams.
- QUOTE: “There’s One Person above all others who desires an extraordinary life for you. He’s a Father who delights, like any good father, in the achievements and happiness of His children. His name is God!” (John Bevere, Extraordinary).
- ILLUSTRATION: Tori’s getting ready to go to University in Brandon. She wants to play music in an orchestra pit. I support and encourage that dream and want to see it happen!
3. EVERY DREAM WILL HAVE OPPOSITION – EVEN IF IT IS FROM GOD.
“6 “Listen to this dream,” he announced. 7 “We were out in the field tying up bundles of grain. My bundle stood up, and then your bundles all gathered around and bowed low before it!” 8 “So you are going to be our king, are you?” his brothers taunted. And they hated him all the more for his dream and what he had said. 9 Then Joseph had another dream and told his brothers about it. “Listen to this dream,” he said. “The sun, moon, and eleven stars bowed low before me!” 10 This time he told his father as well as his brothers, and his father rebuked him. “What do you mean?” his father asked. “Will your mother, your brothers, and I actually come and bow before you?” 11 But while his brothers were jealous of Joseph, his father gave it some thought and wondered what it all meant.” (Genesis 37:6-11).
- Joseph was hated and taunted by his brothers, and rebuked by his father for his dreams.
- Don’t let someone else’s disapproval or jealousy hinder you from dreaming!
- DREAMERS: Be like Michael Jordan who said, “I play to win. The day I stop improving is the day I walk away from the game.” He shot 300 baskets a day every day!
THE REST OF JOSEPH’S STORY:
- Joseph was thrown into a pit and sold into slavery by his brothers.
- He ended up working for Potiphar, and was falsely accused of raping his wife.
- He ended up in prison… but the Lord was with Joseph.
- Finally, he ended up working for the Pharaoh in the palace… and his dream came true.
THE DREAM TEST:
From John Maxwell, Put Your Dream to the Test. – IF THERE IS TIME.
“I believe God wants us to dream, and to dream big, because He’s a big God who wants to do big things and He wants to do them through us.”
- The Ownership Question: Is my dream really my dream?
“Ordinary people can live extraordinary lives when they follow their dreams… Successful people – those who see and seize their dream – love what they do and do what they love.”
- The Clarity Question: Do I clearly see my dream?
“Begin by writing a detailed description of your dream. Let your imagination go wild.”
- The Reality Question: Am I depending on factors in my control to achieve my dream?
“You need to reach far beyond what you’re capable of, but at the same time base what you do on your strength and other factors within your control.”
- The Passion Question: Does my dream compel me to follow it?
“What is passion? It’s an enthusiasm that not only gives you energy and focus on the present, but also gives you power to keep moving toward the future.”
- The Pathway Question: Do I have a strategy to reach my dream?
“The real difference between a dream and wishful thinking is what you do day to day. To reach your dream, you must do something every day that relates to your dream.”
- The People Question: Have I included the people I need to realize my dream?
“My dream team includes people who inspire me… who are honest with me, whose skills complement mine.”
- The Cost Question: Am I willing to pay the price for my dream?
- The Tenacity Question: Am I moving closer to my dream?
- The Fulfillment Question: Does working toward my dream bring satisfaction?
- The Significance Question: Does my dream benefit others?
If you want your dreams to become a reality, there is something that you must do:
- “It is pleasant to see dreams come true, but fools will not turn from evil to attain them.” (Proverbs 13:19).
- Discover what your dream is, then do whatever it takes to have what you want!
- “Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.” (Psalm 37:4).
PRAYER: For people to dream, and for their dreams to come true!
- Pastor’s Blog: https://pastorchrisjordan.wordpress.com/