When I woke up this morning, I took my usual spot in my oversized comfy chair in the living room, where I start each day doing my devotions from God’s Word. After that, I as I often do, I went on my computer to scan the latest news headlines to see if anything would catch my eye. And this morning, something did. It was a simple, short headline:
“Billy Graham Dies at 99.”
The opening sentence of this article on MSN.com read: “Evangelist Billy Graham — a confidant to presidents, a guiding light to generations of American evangelicals and a globe-trotting preacher who converted millions to Christianity — died Wednesday at the age of 99, his spokesman confirmed to CNN.”
When I read the news, my first thought was, “Well done, good and faithful servant… Enter into the joy of your lord!” (Matthew 25:21). Here is an amazing man of God who was humble and godly, who lived a life of integrity that was above reproach. He was shining example to people all over the world of what a sincere servant of Jesus should look like. I don’t know if I could express what I’m feeling any better than what my pastor posted on his Instagram account this morning:
Literally millions of people around the world have surrendered their lives to Jesus Christ and found salvation through Billy Graham and his preaching ministry. One of those people was my father-in-law, Norman, and because he turned his life over to Jesus, so did his wife and his children, including my wife, Liza!
And so today I wanted to pay a simple tribute to Billy Graham by sharing with you some of his quotes, and a tribute video. So if you don’t know Jesus today, my prayer is that you would call upon the name of the Lord, and be saved. Amen!
BILLY GRAHAM QUOTES:
- “My home is in Heaven.I’m just traveling through this world.”
- “The moment we take our last breath on earth, we take our first in heaven.”
- “God proved his love on the Cross. When Christ hung, and bled, and died, it was God saying to the world, ‘I love you.’”
- “The will of God will not take us where the grace of God cannot sustain us.”
- “Knowing we will be with Christ forever far outweighs our burdens today! Keep your eyes on eternity!”
- “It is the Holy Spirit’s job to convict, God’s job to judge and my job to love.”
- “I’ve read the last page of the Bible, it’s all going to turn out all right.”